Sunday, July 24, 2011

Theology and Clothes

I've had many conversions, but one of them was on the way I dressed. It was, yet again, a theological conversion. It was also, yet again, probably over thought and over applied. However, it was firmly authentic and led to a lot of pondering about the ceremonial of masculinity. On another post, we'll discuss the whys, but the outcome of the "garment conversion" ended in me wearing extremely expensive (though the goal was quality and that it be right and fitting) clothing which I purchased at insanely discounted prices at thrift stores and eBay (we'll talk about how to do that later).

I remember being overdressed for an event and someone remarking on it and I said, "At least it looks good and wasn't made by slave labor in a country that is feeding America's disgusting culture of gluttony for fashion." He said, "You didn't think about that when you bought that." Actually, I did. I wish I thought about that sort of thing more, but I don't.

I think before talking about how your clothes are fitting, or other important topics for the lay Catholic gentleman, we need to discuss where your wears originated and why you're wearing them. Are your clothes right and fitting for your state in life and as a Catholic? Catholics should think of such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment